The original Grand Central Depot in New York City was opened in 1871 and served the the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad, the New York and Harlem Railroad, and the New York and New Haven Railroad. The old structure was demolished, the approach trackage expanded, and what we now know as Grand Central Terminal was built between 1903 and 1913. In response to smoke abatement regulations enacted in Manhattan, the new construction was designed to facilitate electric-powered locomotives eliminating steam locomotives from the terminal and approach tunnels. This first view shows the terminal structure circa 1915 and the second the main concourse looking toward the Vanderbilt Ave. entrance. Note that both cards refer to the terminal as 'terminal station' and 'depot'.
This 1930s linen card shows the Park Avenue Viaduct that runs around the terminal building, crosses over 42nd Street, and continues on the other side. The viaduct was built in 1919.
The following interior views were published right after the completion of the terminal.
For more information on Grand Central Terminal, click here: